Monday, November 19, 2007

Open House Results - Gingersnap Recipe

We had a great weekend seeing lots of old friends and new friends. The Christmas trees are much lighter than they started, with so many ornaments going from our trees to your homes. Fortunately, there's still a great selection for those that are still waiting to buy just the right decorations for the holidays.

We'll be closed on Thanksgiving, of course, but open again on Friday.

I was asked a number of times over the weekend for the recipe for the Gingersnaps. So, I've included it below. They're not real tricky, as I prove every year by making them. I got the recipe from Nancy's Mom, and others claim it's in the old Betty Crocker Cookbook.

I always make a triple recipe, for several reasons. First, if I'm going to go to the effort of measuring, mixing, baking, and cleaning up, I want to get more than a few cookies. Second, I find the measuring easier with the triple batch - mostly the molasses. I never measure that into a cup because it turns out that half a 12 ounce bottle of molasses is exactly what I need for a triple recipe. The third reason I make a triple recipe, is that I end up making 3 or 4 triple recipes every November for our friends at the open houses - we serve a lot of cookies!

Gingersnaps - Each Recipe Makes 36 2.5" cookies









1 Recipe

3 Recipes
Mix Together: 3/4 cup soft shortening 2 1/4 cup

1
egg
3


1/4 cup molasses
3/4 cup

1 cup brown sugar 3 cup

2 tsp soda
2 Tbs

1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 tsp

1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbs

1 tsp ginger
1 Tbs








Then Add: 2 1/4 cup flour
6 3/4 cup








Chill dough. Roll into balls the size of large walnuts. Roll in sugar.
Place sugar side up on no-stick cookie sheet. Bake until just set in
375 degree oven - around 10 minutes, then remove quickly from
pans to keep the bottoms soft.




















No comments: